The Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO) and the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan (MEXT) in cooperation with the UNESCO Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education are pleased to announce the 2019 SEAMEO-Japan Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) Award, with the theme ‘Building Peace in Schools and Communities’. The objectives of this year’s award are:
- To raise awareness of ESD in schools and communities across Southeast Asia;
- To promote ESD best practices in schools and communities across Southeast Asia;
- To share and exchange knowledge and best practices on ESD in schools across Southeast Asia and Japan;
- To encourage networking among schools and communities which implement ESD practices in Southeast Asian countries and Japan; and
- To support the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations.
All public and private kindergarten/elementary/secondary/vocational and technical schools within 11 Southeast Asian countries are eligible to apply (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam).
The school awarded 1st prize will receive USD 1500 and a study tour to Japan, with prizes of USD 1,000 and USD 500 for 2nd and 3rd prizes respectively. The deadline for submissions is 2 September, 2019. Further information and details on how to apply can be found here.