The Race to Zero is a global campaign to mobilise leadership and support from businesses, cities, regions, investors and universities for a healthy, resilient and fair, zero carbon recovery that prevents future threats, creates decent jobs, and unlocks inclusive, sustainable growth.
UNEP, Second Nature and EAUC are working together to represent the higher education sector in this race and already have more than 700 signatories on board with the aim of reaching 1,000 by COP26 in November 2021.
The objective of the Race to Zero campaign is to build momentum around the shift to a decarbonised economy ahead of COP26, where governments must strengthen their contributions to the Paris Agreement. This will send governments a resounding signal that the sectors are united in meeting the Paris goals and creating a more inclusive and resilient economy.
Showcase your institution’s leadership on a global level at COP26 in November 2021 as part of the Race to Zero.
In order to join the Race to Zero, institutions should commit to:
- Pledge: having a 2050 or sooner net zero target;
- Plan: explain what steps will be taken toward achieving net zero;
- Proceed: taking action towards net zero;
- Publish: commit to report progress annually.
Join the Race to Zero by completing the sign-up form.
If you require any support in developing your net-zero target, or if you are unable to meet any of the above requirements, please contact Fiona (email@example.com) at EAUC.
Second Nature has some really helpful resources which they provide to their members which could be very helpful for universities anywhere in the world (although certain bits and pieces may not apply).
*Note: there is a language translation tool at the top right corner of the below webpages.
- Commitment Implementation Handbook: https://secondnature.org/signatory-handbook/commitments-implementation-handbook/
- Assessment and Prioritizing Action: https://secondnature.org/signatory-handbook/assessment-prioritizing-action/
- How to measure progress: https://secondnature.org/signatory-handbook/measuring-progress/
- Carbon Management & Greenhouse Gas Mitigation: https://secondnature.org/signatory-handbook/carbon-management-greenhouse-gas-mitigation/
- Examples of Climate Action Plan Structures: https://secondnature.org/signatory-handbook/examples-of-climate-action-plan-structures/